You know you’re a small business owner when…
- A hard drive crash can rapidly ready you for a nice padded cell in a home for the criminally insane.
- You glibly speak about your dining room table, garage and/or study as ‘the office’, even if you’re wearing pink bunny slippers or working on your patio.
- You were once able to go to a fancy dress party as a zebra, because you tried to use those awful refillable toner cartridges – you know, the evil ones that come with the syringe?
- Your daily mood is 100% proportional to the strength and reliability of your office’s wifi signal.
- You’ve seriously considered a) branding your car or b) erecting a massive billboard along the perimeter wall of your house.
- You are paranoid about being breathed on by people with a cold, a cough, gastro, pink eye or any other dreaded lergy.
- You are the only person in your social circle who despises public holidays. Same workload; fewer days to do it in.
- December is both wonderful and terrible. Yes, it’s holiday time, but you (usually) don’t get a 13th cheque. And everyone else in your life does.
- You’ve never watched the cute panda sneezing video on Youtube.
- You’ll leave your pants at home before you go to a meeting without a business card.
- Your staff members are on Comfortable-Nickname-Basis with your spouse, kids, mother and mother-in-law.
- You keep a notepad and pen next to the bed, so that when you wake in a cold sweat at 4am you can list all of the urgent and important things you have to do the next day.
I’ve scored 9 out of a possible 12. Now you try.
How do YOU know you’re a small business owner? Let me know: Are there any I’ve left out?
* Originally published on Ideate.co.za