FAQ: Draftsperson or draughtsperson?

Q: Is it draftsperson or draughtsperson? Drafting or draughting? Draftsman or draughtsman?

A: As far as I know, or can tell from the experts I consulted on this, ‘draughting’ is used in relation to people who do drawings, rather than those of us who draft documents; i.e. write words. The drawers are draughtspersons. But the Americans have switched to the simpler form – draftsperson – and that is probably spreading. Depends how much of a purist you want to be. They don’t seem to have different meanings.